Kane County Sheriff's Office Merit Commission
Applications will be Available
Applications will be available April 1-18, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
$30 Cash Application Fee
Merit Commission Office
Kane County Government Center
719 Batavia Avenue
Building A, Room 103
Geneva, IL 60134
OR ONLINE AT
Online applications may be returned in person to the Merit Commission's Office ($30 cash) or via the U.S. mail with $50 check (NON-REFUNDABLE) made out to Kane County Treasurer.
Application deadline April 18 must be postmarked April 16 by midnight.
Mandatory Orientation Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
Followed by written test
Deputy Sheriff Peace Officer candidates and Deputy Sheriff Corrections Officer candidates must meet the following requirements. However, one or more of the requirements may be waived at the discretion of the Commission, according to law.
- Be no younger than 21 years of age at the time the Eligibility List goes into effect.
- Be a high school graduate or have earned a Certificate of Equivalency. College education desirable.
- Weight and height that does not interfere with the ability to perform the essential functions and duties of a Peace Officer or a Corrections Officer, respectively.
- Eyesight correctable to 20/20. Be free of color blindness.
- Ability to pass all pre or post offer examinations prescribed by the Commission, including but not necessarily limited to: the written test, physical ability test, oral interviews, psychological evaluation and medical examinations.
- Be acceptable to the Commission and/or the Sheriff following investigation of background, reputation, character, and employment records.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be a citizen of the United States for one (1) year.
- Be a resident of Kane County or the contiguous counties of McHenry, DeKalb, Will, Kendall, DuPage, or Cook within six (6) months of completion of the probationary period, and shall maintain such residence in any of said counties as a condition of employment.
- Starting pay of $55,998 topping out at $83,997.
- Excellent health, dental, vision
- IMRF or SLEP Pension depending on years' service
- 13 paid holidays, 12 paid sick days and paid vacation
- Individually assigned vehicle (upon completion of training)